Name Change in Divorce

Sometimes in divorce, the question of, “Can I change my name at divorce to anything I want?”  The answer is, “no.”  Texas Family Code Section 45.105 governs names changes in divorce.  The code states the party may request a name change to “a prior used name.”  If you’ve been married more than once, you can change your name to one used in a previous marriage or your maiden name.

Author Jim Cramp is a retired active duty colonel and the founder and principal attorney at the Cramp Law Firm, PLLC.  The firm provides a spectrum of family law-related services to clients in the greater San Antonio region, across the United States and throughout the world.  The firm also specializes in Federal Civil Service and Military Divorce matters.