What to do When Former Spouse Dies Before the Military Retiree

In military divorce, when the former spouse dies before the military retiree, former spouse retired pay payments stop.  The monthly payments that were going to the former spouse return to the military retiree.  How do you notify DFAS to make this happen?

DFAS requires written documentation regarding the death of a former spouse that includes a copy of the death certificate. In the letter, please include the servicemember/military retiree’s name and social security number and the date of the former spouse’s death. Fax this information to DFAS at 877-622-5930 or mail it to:


Assistant General Counsel for Garnishment Law Directorate

P.O. Box 998002

Cleveland, OH 44199-8002.

Author Jim Cramp is a retired active duty colonel and the founder and principal attorney at the Cramp Law Firm, PLLC.  The firm provides a spectrum of family law-related services to clients in the greater San Antonio region, across the United States and throughout the world.  The firm specializes in Federal Civil Service and Military Divorce matters.